Outside Border

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Quilts by Michelle

We are so excited to announce our newest contributor to Averylee Kids, Michelle LaLonde. Michelle is a talented quilter and has already created four beautiful quilts for our shop - one of which has already sold!  Below is an interview with Michelle so that you can get to know her.

Michelle with her husband Ed. Notice the daffodil field.
I'm 52 years old and have been married to my husband, Ed for almost 25 years.  We have 4 children and 3 grandsons. Our oldest 2 children (and 3 grandchildren) live a few hours away but we get to visit our precious grandboys one weekend a month or so!  We live in a farmhouse that was built in 1910.  In 1918, the owners planted a field of daffodils which have been offered for sale (U-Pick) for many, many years.  They are 50 cents a dozen (still!) and we get such delight from watching little kids who come pick flowers for mommy or gramma :)  My hobbies are reading, running, transcribing almost 60 years worth of my great-grandmas daily diary and quilting (of course!).  I am in a quilting group which has met for about 11 years.  These ladies have taught me everything I know and we have been there for each other through kids growing up, health issues, and all the other special events in our lives.  I thank God everyday for the many blessings in my life!
The LaLonde 1910 Farmhouse
The group of quilters that keep Michelle inspired.
I learned to sew when I was in high school.  A very patient friend tried to teach me to sew clothes and I made some outfits for my little nieces, but everything changed when I made my first quilt in 1987.  I really didn't know the basics of quilting yet, but was able to throw together a cute little blue flannel/heart quilt for my daughter.  Quilting didn't really become an obsession until I joined my current quilting group and saw some of the beautiful creations they made.  They all have different styles, so I've learned a bit about several different types of quilting. Oftentimes, a couple of us will be making the same quilt at the same time, but they always end up beautiful, but quite different from each other.
Michelle's current quilts on Etsy.com/shop/AveryleeKids
When I make quilts for others, I usually let them choose from several of my favorite patterns and also choose a basic color scheme.  When I don't have a recipient in mind, I often pick a pattern I haven't done before (for the challenge).  As far as the fabric, I usually have some colors in mind, but I do love to browse the fabric stores, too.  Sometimes I change my mind completely while I'm there!  I love polka dots and stripes, so those types of fabrics are in most of my quilts.
My favorite part of the process is the hand/machine quilting I do after the quilt is sandwiched.  I'm convinced that this final step is what "makes" the quilt and I really enjoy thinking through what I want the quilt to look like and watching the change take place.  Overall, I just wake up in the morning excited about what I'm working on that day and making plans for future projects!  Hopefully, I can express my talent, joy and love for this process through the quilts I make for Averylee Kids. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your creative and inspiring comments. We love hearing from you:)